Monday, June 18, 2012

Just a Marching Ant.

It's summertime which for me means seeing my favorite group of men. Almost every summer(excluding last year) these guys take to the road to fill our hearts with joy and wonder. In my group of friends I can just say one name and they know exactly who and what I'm talking about. I'm a junkie, fan girl, groupie whatever you want to call if for Dave. Dave Matthews to be exact and his band or DMB.  I have been a fan for 6 years now and have been to 8 different shows. Now to those who don't know or don't understand  you would think that is a lot. Trust me it is not. DMB is the closest thing to a religion that I have, and I'm still an amateur. Eight shows is NOTHING. The best way I can describe it is like the following that Jimmy Buffet has, but with a no Hawaiian shirts or parrots, but the fans are just as die hard. I understand this music is not for everyone, to me it's a mix of rock, funk and blues all balled up into a fab package of joy!
I could spend all day talking about how great they are and how inspiring their music is, but seeing a live show is really the only way to understand the experience. I liked DMB before, but I fell in love with them at my first live show and every show since. People who aren't fans tend to not understand why I want to see more than one show a year. I was talking to someone about going to see them in a few weeks in Pittsburgh at Star Lake(yes, I know it's called First Niagara but I don't care, it will always be Star Lake to me) and they were all, 'didn't you just see them?' Yes I did, but no two shows are ever alike. A Dave show isn't like a normal band or artist's tour. There are no dancers, or backup singers, or costume changes. It's the band playing from their insanely large catalog of songs, sometimes there's an cool cover,sometimes there's new stuff, and sometimes they will come take a classic and turn it into a 10 min jam. Every show is different and interesting and fun. It's almost clique at this point to say go to a show and you'll change your mind but it's the truth. I'm taking my friend Jodi in a few weeks to her first show, I bribed her with tailgating and a good time, but I think in the end she'll like it, and maybe even love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment